Del Albright - Land Use and Access, Rubicon Trail, & Volunteer Training Inspire, Motivate & Facilitate...


1. Non Profits (501.c3): Some states allow non profits to apply for grants. Others don't.  You must read the RTP application from YOUR state to know for sure.

2. Private OHV Parks: Some states allow for the development of private parks with RTP money, others don't. Again, download the application/guidelines from your state to know for sure. Click here for more ideas on OHV Parks and getting one started.

3. What's my first step? Read the general stuff on my web site, especially the CAMPER acronym to see what might be permissible for RTP grant money. Then, download the application from YOUR state and read it carefully. All states are different in how they handle RTP money. Determine the due date of any grant proposals; and find out what your state requires in the way of a sponsor. After that, we can make a plan to get you a shot at some grant money.

4. Do I need to find a sponsor?  Yes, you need a sponsor in most states to qualify for RTP money. A sponsor usually has some control over the area that might receive the grant, usually a local, state or federal agency.

5. What can BlueRibbon Coalition do to help me? I represent BRC for the RTP program. Read my web site; download your application, then email me and we'll get you started if you need help. BRC helped start the whole idea of RTP money for trails, so we're here to help you get some of that money!

6. What is RTP and where do the funds come from?

The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) is an assistance program of the Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). Federal transportation funds benefit recreation by making funds available to the States to develop and maintain recreational trails and trail-related facilities for both nonmotorized and motorized recreational trail uses.

The RTP funds come from the Federal Highway Trust Fund, and represent a portion of the motor fuel excise tax collected from nonhighway recreational fuel use: fuel used for off-highway recreation by snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, off-road motorcycles, and off-road light trucks.

RTP funds are distributed to the States by legislative formula. Half of the funds are distributed equally among all States, and half are distributed in proportion to the estimated amount of nonhighway recreational fuel use in each State. See the Funding Levels by State. The model is base on a report for FHWA by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in July 1999 (PDF - 1,137 KB) -

Each State administers its own program. Contact your State RTP Administrator for guidance on State policies and project eligibility requirements.

The Recreational Program Trails Project Database has been compiled by the Coalition for Recreational Trails from reports supplied by State trail administrators. See

Go here for guidance and details

Read about CAMPER (acronym) -- outlining what RTP can be used for


Top of Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021 by Del Albright, Albright Enterprises
All rights reserved by US Copyrights Office. Use available by permission only.